Rebuilding After Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy has brought untold destruction on the east coast of the United States.  In my hometown of Stony Point, New York those living on the Hudson River waterfront have had many of their homes and property destroyed.  Rebuilding is likely to be a slow and costly process.  With the United States already facing financial difficulties, this latest disaster will only add another level of magnitude to the nation’s current fiscal problems.  Perhaps it would be prudent for the U.S. to take a step back from the international scene for a while and put more focus and effort on rebuilding in the aftermath of Sandy’s destruction.

Perhaps other nations can offer the U.S. a hand in this rebuilding effort.  The U.S. has always been a supporter of humanitarian and other relief efforts across the globe.  It is now time for the nations that can return the favor to do so.  The U.S. is indeed a powerful nation, but that does not mean that it could not use the help of others in the rebuilding effort.  Perhaps nations like Japan, who have extensive experience in recovering from disasters like the tsunami, can help the U.S. in its recovery efforts.  While the U.S. is a strong nation, it would certainly be helpful if the United States did not have to go it alone.

The destruction brought by Hurricane Sandy was shocking to many, including myself.  This is the first time in my life that I have observed firsthand the destruction that can be brought by a hurricane.  It both saddens me but at the same time encourages me.  It encourages me that the strength of the United States will endure, structures will be rebuilt, and life will get back to normal.  It will take time and money, but it can be done.  It would be great if some of our partners in the international community could come together to help out the U.S. in its current time of need.

One comment

1. I agree with Louis. I do not believe that the United States should feel entitled to such aid, but the United States gives more international aid to countries than any other country in the world. It would be a great gesture for some of these nations to lend to those who are in need in the New York/New Jersey Area. Already, there have been many efforts by countries to help out. One of the few good things that comes from natural disasters such as these is people and nations coming together to help one another.