PILR Public Edition: “Raped by the System” by Alexandra Ashmont

Written by Alexandra Ashmont

My article “Raped by the system” compares prison conditions, mainly the epidemic of prison rape, between the United States and South America. Not only does this article illustrate the brutal reality within prison walls, it more importantly showcases the absolute depraved indifference of society at large. The article does this by first comparing basic prison conditions and sexual violence within the countries. It goes into the effects of prison rape on the victims, their families, and society as a whole. Then, it explains what is being done by each country to put a stop to this growing epidemic. You will find that this article is very gruesome, and it is meant to be, because the reality of prison rape is not delightful and not something to be joked about. The article contains numerous real-life accounts and heartbreaking stories of the victims of prison rape. The main purpose of this article is to open the eyes of the public, because as Nelson Mandela said, ” It is said that no-one truly knows a nation until one has been inside its jails. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but its lowest ones.”

Biography

My name is Alexandra Ashmont and I am a third-year law student at Pace University School of Law. I am a senior associate on Pace International Law Review. In addition I am the Captain of the International Criminal Moot Court team, a member of two trial advocacy teams, and a member of the Criminal Justice Society. After I graduate, I am hoping to enter the field of Criminal Defense and represent indigent clients.